Peter A. Urhausen
Peter A. Urhausen has significant trial and appellate experience in the areas of insurance coverage, insurance litigation, public agency defense including dangerous condition and auto claims, and contract / commercial lease issues.
Peter provides his Clients with legal procedural knowledge, tenacity and negotiation ability. He excels at complex cases and at resolving and diminishing them via Motion work.
Proof of his effectiveness can be found in the successful outcome that he produced for a Northern California City, where he obtained a $10 Million dollar award against a zero offer, plus an additional $8.6 million in settlements, in a case in which the City had been advised it had no claim.
In 2019 Peter successfully argued to the California Supreme Court in the landmark inverse condemnation case of City of Oroville v. Superior Court.
Areas of Practice
- Public Agency Defense
- General Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Insurance Litigation
- Civil Rights Litigation
- California, 1992
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1992
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2001
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1992
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: Thurston Society
- California State University, San Jose, California
- B.A. - 1985
- Honors: With Great Distinction
Honors and Awards
- AV Rating (“from Very High to Preeminent”) with Martindale-Hubbell
- 2020 California Lawyer, Attorney of the year